Precision livestock farming
Our team work with technology providers to develop and demonstrate AgriTech solutions for beef and sheep precision livestock (or SMART) farming.
Our focus relies on supporting farmers with data-driven solutions and decision support platforms to drive improvements in efficiency and to reduce the carbon-footprint of farming systems.
Example solutions include:
- Automated weighing systems
- Low-cost feed and water intake recording
- Imaging solutions (e.g. 3D camera technology, thermal imaging) for carcass quality and animal behaviour
- Animal sensing systems (e.g. accelerometer-based activity monitors, temperature-sensing, biomarkers) for behaviour (feeding, rumination, calving, oestrus monitoring) and health detection (early-warning systems).
- GPS-tracking for extensive systems
- Proxy technologies for measuring methane emissions
- Electronic identification (EID) solutions
- Application of advanced data analytics to "big data" (e.g., machine learning approaches)