SRUC Beef and Sheep Research Centre (BSRC) has world class facilities for measuring methane emissions from cattle.
The facilities include:
- Six respiration chambers to measure methane emissions from individual cattle
- Six training pens which are used to accustom animals to being housed individually prior to going in to chambers. Chamber and training pen sizes were designed to meet Home Office requirements
- Each training pen and chamber is equipped with weigh cells to measure individual feed intake. This allows methane emissions from each animal to be expressed accurately on an intake basis
- Feeders are fitted with integrated canopy ‘sniffers’ which allow measurement of methane emitted specifically whilst the animal is eating
- Chambers are also able to measure methane emissions from paired sheep